let's start with the basics

Site related topics

Moderator: alex

let's start with the basics

Postby 5118d425e155856315000002 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:53 pm

ok, so I just got my 3d camera which is, as one might expect, my only 3d viewer.
So here I am to share my 3d photos and view 3d photos uploaded by others.
Problem is I can find no instructions for how to actually do that, i.e. how to put these photos on my camera so I can view them. It looks like this website is meant for viewing within a web browser which is not possible on my camers, and when I try to save the files they are JPG files and not MPO. The website knows I have a W3 camera. Am I supposed to convert the files? Rename them? In any case, my computer will not allow me to tranfer them to the camera. :?: Am I missing something?
5118d425e155856315000002

Re: let's start with the basics

Postby 5118d425e155856315000002 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 pm

can't upload either!
so I navigate to the folder on the camera with the files, and presto! They are all invisible!
File filter says "supported image formats"
This happens with ebay's uploader on linux because the site's flash uploader filtered my canon's .JPG files when only .jpg files are supported.

can't do anything with this website
5118d425e155856315000002

Postby Vapymid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:35 pm

This is not a problem with the site.

First, you need to extract MPOs from your camera. If you let Windows "wizard" run when you connect your W3 to your PC it will only show you the flat JPGs. So, you need to ignore the "wizard" and open the camera from "My Computer" then copy/paste MPO files to another directory, where you can edit them if necessary and from where you can upload them to the website.

Actually, it is much easier to copy the files directly from the camera's SD memory card if you have a USB (or built-in) card reader, because then it will be seen by your PC just as another mass-storage drive instead of the stupid MTP protocol which the camera uses...

Regards
Vapymid

Postby 5118d425e155856315000002 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks but that info does not address either problem.
Firstly I am not running windows, I am running ubuntu linux. Getting the MPO files onto the computer is not the problem. I can do this either by connecting the camera or using a card reader.
When I attempt to upload the images to the website however the folder appears empty, as if the files are being filtered.
ok I just found the problem. As with the ebay problem, the (flash?)uploader filters .MPO files and wants .mpo files. go figure.
Why ubuntu linux would copy files with uppercase file extensions is puzzling, but knowing that it does shouldn't the phereo website file uploader include .MPO files as a supported type? Is this not a problem with the website? With the file filter? Does phereo.com want linux users to be able to buy a 3D camera and use the website?

As for viewing shared mpo files, on the 3Dporch website they have "download .MPO file" link.
So how am I supposed to get the phereo shared mpo files onto my camera so I can view them?
Does phereo.com not realise that for many people the 3D camera they buy might be the only 3D viewer available to them?
5118d425e155856315000002

Postby bulkinav » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 am

Hello!

Windows OS ignores uppercase or lowercase in the file name, as well in the file extension. Therefore, users of this operating system do not feel any problems.

Ubuntu does not have such "feature" :) So, please choose the "All Files" in a drop-down menu:

Phereo Support
bulkinav

Postby Vapymid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 am

Further to what bulkinav said, you can save the JPG images off Phereo (set the viewer to show pictures as stereopairs, parallel or crossed) and convert them later to MPOs (for example, with stereophotomaker, which can do bulk conversion).

You can also use that program to view your stereo images on your PC in a variety of formats, without having to load them on to your camera.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby 5118d425e155856315000002 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 pm

ok, so i can't upload easily because of case sensitivity issue which is "not a problem with the site", and am supposed to blame linux and then figure out how to rename the files with lowecase extension if I want to contributeto this photo sharing website?

And to view the shared photos on this website I am expected to download and then convert to mpo files before copying onto the camera?

I blame the website.
5118d425e155856315000002

Postby Vapymid » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:10 pm

"And to view the shared photos on this website I am expected to download and then convert to mpo files before copying onto the camera?"

No, you are expected to just open them in your web browser. However, if you feel that you must load them to your camera (and you are probably the first person to come up with such a brilliant idea) - then download the photos and convert them to a format suitable for your camera. There are free tools available to do that if you so wish.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby bulkinav » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:27 pm

5118d425e155856315000002 wrote:I blame the website.

Ok, this issue will be fixed in the next iteration.
Phereo Support
bulkinav

Postby linuxluver » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:08 pm

5118d425e155856315000002 wrote:ok, so I just got my 3d camera which is, as one might expect, my only 3d viewer.
So here I am to share my 3d photos and view 3d photos uploaded by others.
Problem is I can find no instructions for how to actually do that, i.e. how to put these photos on my camera so I can view them. It looks like this website is meant for viewing within a web browser which is not possible on my camers, and when I try to save the files they are JPG files and not MPO. The website knows I have a W3 camera. Am I supposed to convert the files? Rename them? In any case, my computer will not allow me to tranfer them to the camera. :?: Am I missing something?

On Ubuntu, you can use "StereoPhoto Maker" (a free Windows app that works great in WINE on Linux) to convert / edit / crop 3D images.

You can see images in the web browser easily by using the side-by-side "crossed" viewing format. This way you get much larger images to look at and there is no loss of colour accuracy. Or just buy a 3D PC monitor. LG are selling the LGD2342P monitors very cheaply right now. They use passive glasses. I have one on my Ubuntu system and it works great.

There shouldn't be any major problems uploading to phereo.com. I upload to Phereo all the time from my Linux system.

My favourite method with my Fuji Real 3D W3 is to copy the files to my LG 3D Max android phone and then edit the photos with 3D Steroid Pro ("Pro" can handle MPO files). To make that even easier, I bought an "EZ Share" 8GB SDHC card for the camera that has a WiFi access point and web server built in. I just turn the wifi on in the SDHC card, turn the camera on (to give it power)...and then connect my phone to the camera and then via the phone's web browser, I select the images I want to download to the phone. When I'm done copying them over, I turn the camera off and disable the wifi. This works great.

Bottom line, though, is you either want to learn to "freeview" stereocrossed 3D on your PC's ordinary monitor or get a cheap 3D monitor. The LG ones I mentioned are NZ$248 ...so would be about US$210. It's well worth it!!!!!!
linuxluver

Return to Phereo Site