Stolen Images

Site related topics

Moderator: alex

Stolen Images

Postby hbaldwin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:26 am

You have several images posted that do not belong to the poster. Copyright violations and theft. Is this what this web site is about? :evil:

Here is a link to one o fthem, http://phereo.com/sekker/image/4ecd1d96 ... b7700007d/ Not only is this offensive but to display an image of someone daughter is beyond forgiveness. This problem needs to be fixed immediately as the 3D forums I am on will soon be notified of this shortly.

Hayden
hbaldwin

Re: Stolen Images

Postby bulkin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for your report!

Each user who registrated on the Phereo agrees with the TOS (http://phereo.com/p/info/tos/), which clearly states that he has no right to upload pictures to the site author of which he is not. Unfortunately, not all people adhere to these rules.

We are always ready to delete the images upon request of their authors.
Phereo Support
bulkin

Here's ANOTHER Stolen Image

Postby turbguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 am

One of MINE!

This poster had stolen HUNDREDS of my images for use in sale of a stereo viewer from China.

Here's the stolen image:

http://phereo.com/Lkevin/image/4f91163f ... d0800000c/

Here's MY original...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/turbguy/2360078924/

Remove please. Suggest you ban the user.

Wayne
turbguy

Postby bulkinav » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 am

turbguy, thanks! Image has been deleted.
Phereo Support
bulkinav

Postby Vapymid » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 am

A question to Turbguy: with all respect, but your image is freely available for download from the Flickr site. How is it being available for free download from Phereo different in any way?

I agree that unauthorised copying of other people's work is questionable ethically, at least when done without proper attribution, and certainly, if done for commercial exploitation. However, I believe that an image or two re-posted on a site like Phereo does not present a commercial threat to anyone, especially if the original, as I noted above, is already freely available on the 'net, directly from the author.

It would be interesting to hear the views of someone who is in the photo business professionally because there are probably some angles and considerations which we, amateurs and enthusiasts, just haven't thought about...

Regards
Vapymid

Postby turbguy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Did you notice that the image in question is COPYRIGHTED? The original image cannot be downloaded (except by my permission), just a resampled low-res version by doing a "screen grab".

Did you notice there was absolutely NO credit given to the maker? Nor a link back to the original page? It's image theft, short and simple. MY property.

All the thief has to do is ASK to use it. He/she might be surprised by the response.
Last edited by turbguy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
turbguy

Postby bulkinav » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 pm

The image cannot be downloaded (except by my permission), just a resampled low-res version by doing a "screen grab".

You are wrong, the image can be downloaded from Flickr. You need open the code page and found a direct link to the image. For your case: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3003/2360 ... 53b6_b.jpg
Phereo Support
bulkinav

Postby turbguy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:14 pm

That's not the Original image, it's the "large" size, resampled down by Flickr to 1024 x 410. The original is 4522 x 1833. You get the same image by clicking on the page image (enlarges to lightbox mode) and doing a screen grab.

In any event, ALL sizes are copyrighted...

Wayne
turbguy

Postby Arjayuu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:28 pm

I am in total agreement with Turbguy (Wayne) as regards image theft.

For me, the thing that is most annoying is that someone posts someone else's image but does not give the credit to the owner or the link back to the Flickr or other site they got the image from. If they don't give this credit, in essence they are posting it and giving the impression it is their own image: wrong!

Regardless of whether they can download the image from someone's Flickr or other site, copyright in the image stays with the original author and they need the author's permission to use that image. Technically this is the case too even if all they are doing is posting it on their site never mind using it for commercial purposes!

R
Arjayuu

Postby turbguy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 am

THANK YOU, Arjayuu!
turbguy

Next

Return to Phereo Site