Future of Phereo Site

Site related topics

Moderator: alex

Future of Phereo Site

Postby 5839b9828884280a6c000003 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:12 pm

One of the postings from Sept 2016 indicates site (hosting) is paid up for 2 years but the Phereo team is disbanded and there is no development.

As a 3D enthusiast who very much enjoys this site, can you advise what PRO membership level would be needed to keep the site active beyond 2 years? In short we can generate a campaign to sign up users through various 3D forums (such as the Yahoo 3D Photo forum) for Pro accounts to at least cover the cost of hosting the website.
5839b9828884280a6c000003

Re: Future of Phereo Site

Postby darkonus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:48 pm

5839b9828884280a6c000003 wrote:One of the postings from Sept 2016 indicates site (hosting) is paid up for 2 years but the Phereo team is disbanded and there is no development.

As a 3D enthusiast who very much enjoys this site, can you advise what PRO membership level would be needed to keep the site active beyond 2 years? In short we can generate a campaign to sign up users through various 3D forums (such as the Yahoo 3D Photo forum) for Pro accounts to at least cover the cost of hosting the website.

Actually, the last couple contacts discussing the site hosting from any known member involved with the running of Phereo wasn't in 2016, but rather was from member bulkinav way back on February 28, 2015 and April 19, 2015 here:
http://forum.phereo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=270&hilit=hosting#p1201
http://forum.phereo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=270&hilit=hosting&start=10#p1218

He did mention hosting was paid ahead for a couple years, which would be coming up in 2017, but also said the small amount it costs for hosting probably wouldn't be an issue going forward, but who knows, things can change, and it's been a while since that was stated.

Unfortunately, since that time, on several occasions, others have asked about supporting the site and other questions ... but it seems the last reply here by anyone associated with running Phereo was way back on Decemeber 2, 2015 when bulkinav responded to a member's issue about their Pro account status: http://forum.phereo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20&p=1290#p1290

The last few posts on the forum, including one of my own, asking questions which only Phereo staff could answer, have gone unanswered since December 2015. I had also tried to contact Phereo this year back on July 4, 2016 with my email shown below (support@phereo.com), and though I didn't specifically mention the forum, I never received a response anyway. The seemingly last and only public support that had been offered by any staff for quite a bit of time was that response to a post back on December 2, 2015 ... over a year ago now. :(

Member bulkinav was the last participating Phereo contact, and now missing from the site for over a year, so things don't look particularly well at the moment. One can try to continue to post and ask questions or PM bulkinav or other site forum mods/admins here, post questions to their Twitter and Facebook accounts, and hope at some point there is a response. I guess we will find out either way in a couple or few months time. Hopefully, even if no-one from Phereo responds to our questions, the site remains up and running for us all!

Hello Phereo Staff,
It was sad to learn this, but I have known for quite some time that the Phereo team had been more or less disbanded since 2014, meaning the company couldn’t acquire the necessary funds for staff to remain on the project full time, and just about all work on the project was halted. This was kind of stated on your own discussion forum at some point by one of the moderators last February 2015.

However, it was also mentioned that some work might occasionally be done voluntarily on the project, and some updates had been done in 2015 after the 2014 disbandment, but even that has seemed to come to a complete halt later in 2015 after an update to the Android app getting Google Cardboard support added.

Phereo’s official Twitter feed hasn’t had tweets since August 2014, the Facebook page hasn’t had an update since April 2015, and the Phereo forums don’t seem to have a moderator or admin posting any responses since last December 2015, nor any staff occasionally visiting the forums at all. I understand it would all be volunteered time, which we users appreciate very much, however it’s kind of useless even asking any questions about the service and software on any of those venues now since it seems former staff doesn’t seem to be able to find any time anymore to visit any of those sources and offer some of their valuable time to reply or help.

I’m sorry things didn’t work out for the project to continue as expected, the software had great promise. People still download and try using the Android app from Google Play, but there are some issues and areas of improvement still needed with the app, though it seems there is no staff to read those suggestions, reply to users, or at least offer users a definite answer as to whether the app is ever going to be supported or updated again.

So I’m wondering and hoping someone on staff still reads this email and can offer me their input on the situation . . . is there any chance that any former staff members will ever read or listen to user issues or suggestions, and possibly volunteer any time to do some updates to the Android app again, or is the project and software finally done receiving any more further updates from any and all current Phereo disbanded staff members?

Thank you for your time and reply to my questions and concerns, as well as all the money, hard work, and time all the staff members have contributed in creating the Phereo project in the first place!

Sincere Regards,
~ Craig ~
darkonus

Postby kano3d » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:58 am

I remember contacting Phereo this January via Facebook about Phereo App support for ZTE Axon 7 Max and Doogee Y6 Max 3D ¡Somebody answered me only a few days later! He said that he will look about that mobile devices.
I don't know if that Facebook profile is only from the Android App programmer or if he maintain the phereo.com site too.
kano3d

Postby 5839b9828884280a6c000003 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:09 am

Perhaps we should start a campaign to purchase the Phereo site?
5839b9828884280a6c000003

Postby linuxluver » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 am

5839b9828884280a6c000003 wrote:Perhaps we should start a campaign to purchase the Phereo site?

That may be tricky. You would want to purchase a license for the intellectual property and that would have to be identified. You'd also want to ensure the site remained operational at the very least. The domain name would perhaps be part of this.

The trick may be the find out who to ask....and hope they also share an interest in seeing the site maintained and carried forward.
linuxluver

Postby San10 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm

DavidCano wrote:I remember contacting Phereo this January via Facebook about Phereo App support for ZTE Axon 7 Max and Doogee Y6 Max 3D ¡Somebody answered me only a few days later! He said that he will look about that mobile devices.
I don't know if that Facebook profile is only from the Android App programmer or if he maintain the phereo.com site too.

Any progress on that?
I got an Axon 7 Max in the mail today and i couldn't find a nice way to work with or upload to phereo and or view 3d in phereo except anaglyph and side by side. 3d stereoid i also couldn't get to work checking parallax mode or not.
What is disappointing about this phablet is that, while it can make reasonable close ups in 3d, (though via depth map not true stereoscopic capture) it saves them as jpegs. I had to copy them over to the pc and work from there.
There is no one button solution unfortunately like with the evo 3d where you can share a 3d photo here the minute you took it.
San10

Return to Phereo Site