Image theft

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

Image theft

Postby sleightman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 am

Our members have reported 2 copyrighted images appearing in a private account on this site. Now, other images from known artists are showing up.

Please be mindful of this.

sleightman.
Last edited by sleightman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleightman

Stolen 3D images

Postby MikeS3d » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01 am

Would all users of this site please note the following.
There are a number of images turning up on this site which are being posted by parties other than the photographers and rightfull owners of these images.
It is requested that this stops immediately and any such images are removed as they are reported, or if they are already know to have been aquired without permision.
Thankyou.
MikeS3d

Re: Image theft

Postby bulkinav » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:15 am

Each user who registrated on the Phereo agrees with the ToS (http://phereo.com/p/info/tos/), which clearly states that he has no right to upload pictures to the site author of which he is not. Unfortunately, not all people adhere to these rules.

We are always ready to delete the images upon request of their authors.

Please don't create topics on the forum of the same content, use the Feedback form (http://phereo.com/p/contact/feedback/). Thanks!
Last edited by bulkinav on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phereo Support
bulkinav

Postby sleightman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

So you are saying it wasn't you who grabbed my image off of Flickr, cropped it and posted it? Can I have the account holder's contact info?

If you support artists rights and respect copyrights, then you should be equally angered by this.

Heck, no honest site administrator wants their site to be known for having stolen content, and you certainly don't want the legal hassle of someone who is as upset lawyering up. It's not worth it.

thank you.
sleightman
Last edited by sleightman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleightman

Postby admin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Dear sleightman,

Thanks for your post, I have replied you personally.
admin
Site Admin

Postby linuxluver » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:49 pm

This guy, "sleightman" is clearly an ass.

If he posts his photos to Flickr and someone does a screen shot and posts it somewhere else.....then he better put great big water marks across his images so they can't be cropped and anonymised.

If you don't want your photos re-used, make them un-usable or don't post them.
linuxluver

Postby Vapymid » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:08 am

What damage? Can he quantify it? I thought not...

After reading his rant I went to his Flickr site and downloaded the photos from there just to make a point.

He may think that he can rump up hype and make a case for some copyright troll lawyer to give it a try and sue Phereo but I am absolutely sure he does not stand a chance. Even in the US, promptly withdrawing content after complaint is a sufficient defence for the site operator under DMCA.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby sleightman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello linuxluver,

Thanks for your view. I guess I can assume by it that all the software on your computer is pirated and all the songs on your iPod stolen due to your lax approach to the topic. Just because something is there, doesn't mean that it can be grabbed by anyone who sees it. There is not excuse for ANY type of theft, weather in a grocery store, a bank, or a web site. While my approach was direct, it was to make a point about the seriousness of the issue. The day this all went down, there was flurry of activity in another forum with several people noting their images on this site without authorization. If it wasn't a serious issue: 1. There wouldn't be copyright laws, 2. Copyright lawyers wouldn't be living in mansions in Beverly Hills and 3. Phereo wouldn't have removed the images

To wit: Phereo has removed all the offending images and I appreciate it. I would think that if someone broke into your home and stole your stuff, you would be upset too, but I guess not.

"If he posts his photos to Flickr and someone does a screen shot and posts it somewhere else.....then he better put great big water marks across his images so they can't be cropped and anonymised. "

If you are low enough to steal images, then why not be so low as to take the time to remove the watermark? that's a strawman argument.

Dear Vapymid,

Thanks for visiting my Flickr site. Yes, you can download low res versions of my work on Flickr. Congrats! I hope you enjoy them. But downloading them doesn't give you the right to re-post them elsewhere. You can, but you do it at your own risk. If anyone feels the need to steal my material and re-post it as your own, it brings up a lot of questions in my mind regarding their skills as a photographer and their general self-worth. I have never downloaded someones image and re-posted it, because I am actually out in the field working and creating my own photos. I don't have the time or inclination to steal something then claim it as my own. I use a free account and limit my quantity to 200 images, so I am constantly adding and removing images. Flickr is simply a place for me to showcase my work to clients and friends, nothing more. I don't make my images available in full res for situations just like this.

As far as lawyers go: Not my intent. As I stated to linuxluver, I just made my point in the strongest way possible. It wasn't just me that found their work cannibalized and posted here. It was several people who were upset by this development.

Again, Phereo administrators did the right thing and removed them and I thank them for that.

In the end, both of you guys represent the worst sort of attitude when it comes to the work of others. It de-incentiveizes artists to want to share their work with the world. Just because I shared something with you, doesn't give you the right to kick down my door and rob me. But I guess you guys think that is OK, so long as it doesn't happen to you, right?
sleightman

Postby Vapymid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Dear Sleightman,

I think you are taking things much too close to heart and you would benefit from taking a step back and thinking about things calmly.

Firstly, you seem to be blinded by IP lawyers and lobbyists' propaganda, but no, copyright infringement is not theft or robbery. By overdramatising things you undermine your own argument. Yes, any infringement of any right have potential to cause economic loss but download of, as you say, low-res picture and even reposting it does not automatically cause one.

Ironically, your own message proves my point:

Flickr is simply a place for me to showcase my work to clients and friends, nothing more. I don't make my images available in full res for situations just like this.

Obviously, it would have been impossible for poor lkevin to cause you any lost sales by posting a tiny copy of some of your work alongside some pictures of his mum on Phereo.

Yes, posting someone else's work without attribution is questionable morally and ethically but it's not robbery. If someone throws a fag on the pavement instead of into a bin, it is unethical, probably an administrative offense, but hardly a murder. So, trying to make it look like one will not gain you any supporters IMHO.

Secondly, yes, I have an issue with IP owners trying to grab rights that are not naturally theirs even if their interpretation of (obsolete and poorly drafted) laws says otherwise. I consider that this infringes *my* rights. For example, when I rip my CDs to MP3s for my own use I believe that I have every moral right to do that, even if RIAA or BPI disagree. I believe that their interpretation of law is wrong and overreaching.

I also believe that, contrary to what you seem to think, it is such overzealous interpretation of IP laws as yours which is what is damaging the creative industries. It supports monopolisation of power by intermediaries while the authors and users are being exploited. That also encourages mediocrity and stagnation.

Finally, so far you only complain. I have noticed that you haven't posted any of your pictures on this site. On the other hand, I have posted more that 300, which I'm happy for people to download, if they want. Of all these pictures there is only 1 that I have not taken myself (it's a derivative work and I put instructions how to find the originals in the comments). So, I don't think you have any grounds to accuse me of any immoral or unethical behaviour and of disregard to the work of others. I put my pics where my mouth is, so to say. Do you?

Regards
Vapymid

Postby 2eyedFroggy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 pm

hello Dr Sleightman,

U should be shooting pictures if this is your concern, If u were aware of life u would know how to protect the juice of your brain. Otherwise so sorry for u mate, u should read a bit before trolling.

Call the lawyer, try another one ...

Yesterday someone stole my bike, it wasn't attached, plz someone give me my money back !
2eyedFroggy

Next

Return to General Discussion