Better looking Images

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

Better looking Images

Postby linuxluver » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:06 am

There are a few things I do to make my 3D images look better.

1. Keep your lens(es) clean. Many phone-cam photos are degraded significantly because the camera lens was covered in finger prints or (smokers) cigarette smoke 'grime'. Another issue in hot weather is moving between cool indoor locations and hot outdoor locations quickly. Your cool camera will cause water in the air to condense on the lenses and any photos will be foggy. If you can, wipe them clear...or just wait for the phone / camera to warm up and the fog to lift.

2. Cameras like the LG Optimus 3D phone tend to produce a murky photo if running Android v2.2. It's just the way the default settings are set in that version. This has been fixed in the Android v2.3.5 update for this device. In any case, you can use the included "Image Editor" app (accessed via 'edit' in the camera or from the Gallery) to improve the image. I typically:

- increase RGB by one to the right
- Increase saturation by one to the right
- maybe increase contrast by one to the right....but usually not necessary where there is enough light.

If you're on Android v2.2, these steps make the photo look much closer to what your eyes saw. If you're on Android v2.3.5 I usually still 'restore' the saturation as above and - depending in the conditions when the photo was taken - may still adjust the RGB and / or the contrast. See what looks best to you.

For other camera / devices you may have your own apps that can do this. I use "StereoPhoto Maker" on Windows (or in WINE on Linux). GIMP is fine....though you'll have to save the file as a JPEG, then rename it back to *.JPS. I also use this app to 'fix' alignment. Some cameras, like the Fuji Real 3D W3, can have the two lenses out of alignment...either from the factory or because you dropped it once or many times. Whatever...the image is almost always fixable.

On an Android phone, you can use 3D Steroid Pro to fix alignment of *.jps and *.mpo files. Better alignment means fewer headaches for 3D viewers.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

(Edited 2012 03 12 to include information about Android v2.3.5).
linuxluver

Re: Better looking Images

Postby sydney2218 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Just started using a W3 & Canon 210 , for 3D MPOs etc . So far your observations for better quality photos are working , thanks. Still trying to produce better anaglyths with better colour but that seems impossible .MPOs & SBS on the 3d TV are superb .Maybe other colour glasses will work better at preserving colour but thats for another day . I believe the best quality Stereo pics are from my one camera efforts using the free stereo photo program . A 3D rig with 2 cameras , SLRs produces amazingly good results as seen from the experts uploaded on this site.Keen to read about rigs & video set ups.
sydney2218

Postby linuxluver » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 pm

sydney2218 wrote:Just started using a W3 & Canon 210 , for 3D MPOs etc . So far your observations for better quality photos are working , thanks. Still trying to produce better anaglyths with better colour but that seems impossible .MPOs & SBS on the 3d TV are superb .Maybe other colour glasses will work better at preserving colour but thats for another day . I believe the best quality Stereo pics are from my one camera efforts using the free stereo photo program . A 3D rig with 2 cameras , SLRs produces amazingly good results as seen from the experts uploaded on this site.Keen to read about rigs & video set ups.

Anaglyph is fraught with problems. Too much yellow or red in the scene / image makes full-colour anaglyphs look terrible. You must then use half-colour anaglyphs or dubois anaglyphs. But you pay for the clearer image with significant loss of colour accuracy. I don't see any way around it. Much better to use 3D TV or a 3D viewing frame or 3D phone with glasses-free 3D display. The best alternative is stereo cross-eyed - perfect clarity and colour....but you have to cross your eyes and not everyone finds that easy. I've done enough of it now it's not really a problem for a quick look at still images....but I still don't like watching a video longer than a couple of minutes with my eyes crossed.

I've been using StereoPhoto Maker to save parallel side-by side jpeg images from my *.MPO files. I then just use Picasa 3.9 to apply all sorts of adjustments effects and then save the images...and re-open them in StereoPhoto Maker for conversion to other 3D formats.
linuxluver

Postby bulkinav » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Do not forget that you can also use our program of Phereoshop, which has more functions to work with the 3D images: http://phereo.com/p/phereoshop/
Phereo Support
bulkinav

Return to General Discussion