Hazy photos

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

Hazy photos

Postby skyemail » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Does anyone know what causes some of the posted 3D photos to have considerable haze, almost as if viewing through fog?
In some cases it might be sunlight or harsh glare hitting the camera lenses. This issue seems to be fairly common so possibly it's something else causing this washed out appearance. I used to have a Toshiba Z100 3D camcorder and its 3D images were hazy. To correct them required reducing brightness and boosting contrast, so it seemed the camera exposure was incorrect but it had no compensation or adjustment for exposure.
skyemail

Re: Hazy photos

Postby drwr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Hmm, I haven't noticed a lot of hazy photos. It might be as you suggest, though; if a photo is washed out, it could be due to poor lighting and lens flare, or maybe actual haze in the air. I don't know if either of these is particular to stereo photography, though. Can you point to some specific examples that seem hazy?
drwr

Postby skyemail » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 am

Sometimes a whole sequence of photos are uploaded with the haze problem.
There is one recent photo labeled Dog Mouth that has the hazy appearance.
Typically the foggy images are outdoor scenes.
In searching for examples, I noticed that many of the foggy images are simply shot with bright overcast sky in the background so the image has few shadows and is perceived to have little depth. Maybe the bright but low contrast images are causing internal reflections on my display panel giving it a hazy appearance.

When displaying the photos on an iPad tablet, the images are not hazy. It seems the foggy appearance happens only on 3D displays with parrallax barrier when showing images that are low contrast non-saturated color.
skyemail

Postby linuxluver » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 am

In winter time people often move from warm inside to cold outside and back again. This can create condensation problems in any device....but we actually see it in cameras when we take photos with cameras that literally do have foggy lenses...on the inside or outside or both.

Or maybe they just never clean the lenses. :-)
linuxluver

Postby Vapymid » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Looking at the "Dog Mouth" picture I would say that a) the lenses were dirty (with the right one more so than the left) and b) the photo was overexposed - the dynamic range is compressed, especially in the shadows and the highlights are clipped.

This can be easily seen on the histograms - the original
dog_mouth orig hist.jpg
Dog Mouth - the original image

and equalised.
dog_mouth expnd hist.jpg
Dog Mouth - equalised image

The equalised image also shows the remaining glare, which is the evidence of a dirty lens.

Regards
Vapymid

Return to General Discussion