reminder for all who post stolen images!

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

Re: reminder for all who post stolen images!

Postby tractorboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Can I ask what proof that you have that the photos are yours?

I post photos both on here and on Flickr, but to the best of my knowledge, I would not be able to prove that I have taken them. If I was to find that somebody had stolen my photos, what would I do to prove ownership?

Thanks
tractorboy

Postby turbguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Click the "Abuse" button under the image.

Chose "infringes on my copyright" on the resulting drop down list.

Copy and past a link to the original image in the comments box, with a note saying it's yours.
turbguy

Postby tractorboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Hello turbguy,

I know how to report an image, the question I have is how do I prove that I took the photo in the first place.

It's all very well having it in my Flick photostream or posted to here, but how do I actually prove that I have ownership of an image?
tractorboy

Postby turbguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Most of rezan's image titles actually contain the Flickr number code embedded in the link you send to Phereo. With all of mine, he/she also modified them via cropping or such. If your copyrighted Flickr page predates his posting, that is even more evidence of infringement. UNlLESS, you do not have a copyright on your images in Flickr
turbguy

Postby Szoboti » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 pm

i think, the first thing here is common sense. For example, rezan had a lot of different sources and you could see it in the photos. Original creators' photos are usually show similarities in some characters.
Your images will look the same in some sence.

But you can also send email with raw file, or some pictures from the same event that have bin not uploaded.

i'm not an expert on this, but i think, that most of the times, you can porve whitout any extra complications.
Szoboti

Postby turbguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Ah, they are Gone, and rezan's photo count is now under 40.

Thank you, Phereo.
turbguy

Postby turbguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:46 pm

51ec6a62df7df3fb58000001 wrote:Hello turbguy,

I know how to report an image, the question I have is how do I prove that I took the photo in the first place.

It's all very well having it in my Flick photostream or posted to here, but how do I actually prove that I have ownership of an image?

Additionally, I can send a link to a higher resolution file (not just upscaled) of the same photo that copyright infringers do not have access to as PROOF it is mine.
turbguy

Postby Vapymid » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 am

Szoboti wrote:...today i got a letter from someone who's images were stolen by one member here, and he wrote: "This is a constant problem with Phereo."

I have to say that I go through pretty much all new images uploaded to Phereo and there is *VERY* little copying going on. This is definitely *NOT* a constant problem with Phereo.

How much does image theft hurt Phereo in general?
I mean, a lot of great work is on flickr, and we all know, that Phereo is far better in displaying 3D images. So why don't they come over? Is there a connection between the image theft problem and flickr artist not joining in large numbers?

I don't think there is a connection. There is no "theft" going on on Phereo. An occasional copying of an image is not theft and can be dealt with quickly through the site reporting mechanism.

I think that you, professional photographers, are a conservative and whiny bunch. You like to congregate in one area and bitch about the pirates and thieves when the sales are slow and you don't move from one snake pit to another very easily or eagerly :-)

Now, that was a light-hearted comment and I did not intend to wind any of you up. But there is truth in it, anyway - embrace it :lol:

On a side note: I'm not a big fan of the save image option in Phereo app for android. We have phereo to see the photos, why save them?

Now you touched a raw nerve with me. Firstly, it is easily possible to download and save an image from Flickr, as you could see confirmed by the efforts of good Mr Rezan here. But secondly, and more importantly - I believe that making saving pictures intentionally difficult is disrespectful to the users of the site. If I see anything like this happening here on Phereo, I'll leave.

I am routinely saving copies of pictures I like on the web. I may not even bother to view them ever again or maybe see some of them for a fraction of a second in a few years time but if I like something I want it stored on *MY* hard drive, where I can see it any time *I* like, not dependent on a whim of the author or a webmaster or a government censor, for that matter. I consider any form of DRM highly immoral, actually, unless it is strictly within the B2B context.

And believe me, my saving of an low res image from Flickr or Phereo is not a lost sale to you. There is no way I would buy it, even for 1p. If you insist, I will just move on and forget about it. People watching pictures on Phereo are not your customers, they are enthusiasts and Phereo's TOS prohibit commercial use without special dispensation anyway.

Having said that, I fully understand your frustration when someone is presenting your work, albeit in a low quality form, as their own, but as I said earlier - it's easy to deal with...

Regards
Vapymid

Postby Szoboti » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm happy if Stolen images are not a real problem or threat for Phereo.

Earlier i wrote about why i stopped using report. Yes it works, but only for registered users. Same problem effect facebook. In both cases, i feels unfair, but I can understand some reasons for it, and i do agree, that creating the account is not a giant obstacle.

I can not agree with you about the copy/harm part. It is not only about the money. First of all, the creator should be credited! Linking and embedding is mostly fair use, but using it, yus beacouse you have the toolf for it, is not the way. Being able has never been a justification.
I don't think, that any of us started running for money after we saw rezans uploads.

About the save opion and mr rezan:
On flickr, under every image you can see what copyright category it has. You "can" dowload, but in most cases, you have to take a little detour, before getting there. The save option on Phere hands you the low resolution image on a silver plate.
When i upoad a picture, i so it for the site, for people to be able to view it. So on the note of leaving:
I Phereo ever moves in the direction of letting people dowload original uploaded images, i will leave!

Recently i dicovered someone on the hungarian site inda.hu who "stole" my images from flickr, used them as his own, commented on them as a createor, and printed them in A2 size. He clearly got trough flickr's protection, photoshopped off my copyright note and got away with all this. Do you consider this the way to follow? Are we just a whiny bunch?

And there are "photographers" who create webpages using stolen images, sometimes selling them, and some even trying to find job with them.

im not going to write pages of examples... Im on holiday. But i do think you are to easy on this...
Szoboti

Postby turbguy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Vapymid wrote:
On a side note: I'm not a big fan of the save image option in Phereo app for android. We have phereo to see the photos, why save them?

Now you touched a raw nerve with me. Firstly, it is easily possible to download and save an image from Flickr, as you could see confirmed by the efforts of good Mr Rezan here. But secondly, and more importantly - I believe that making saving pictures intentionally difficult is disrespectful to the users of the site. If I see anything like this happening here on Phereo, I'll leave.

I am routinely saving copies of pictures I like on the web. I may not even bother to view them ever again or maybe see some of them for a fraction of a second in a few years time but if I like something I want it stored on *MY* hard drive, where I can see it any time *I* like, not dependent on a whim of the author or a webmaster or a government censor, for that matter. I consider any form of DRM highly immoral, actually, unless it is strictly within the B2B context.

And believe me, my saving of an low res image from Flickr or Phereo is not a lost sale to you. There is no way I would buy it, even for 1p. If you insist, I will just move on and forget about it. People watching pictures on Phereo are not your customers, they are enthusiasts and Phereo's TOS prohibit commercial use without special dispensation anyway.

Having said that, I fully understand your frustration when someone is presenting your work, albeit in a low quality form, as their own, but as I said earlier - it's easy to deal with...

Regards

It is NOT possible to download the full resolution image from Flickr, unless the maker gives his specific permission. Only downsized images (which may be adequate for some displays, but not printing) can be done in this instance.
turbguy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion