reminder for all who post stolen images!

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

Re: reminder for all who post stolen images!

Postby Vapymid » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Szoboti wrote:Earlier i wrote about why i stopped using report. Yes it works, but only for registered users. Same problem effect facebook. In both cases, i feels unfair, but I can understand some reasons for it, and i do agree, that creating the account is not a giant obstacle.

I think this is actually better this way, for our own protection - if everyone could use the reporting button without registration, it would be too easy to spam-ban anyone you don't like for any particular reason...

First of all, the creator should be credited! Linking and embedding is mostly fair use, but using it, yus beacouse you have the toolf for it, is not the way. Being able has never been a justification.

I actually agree with most of it - just with a proviso that I don't consider saving a picture for safekeeping on my own PC as a "use" which should be in anyway restricted. Any other use - for commercial purpose or simply for public display without proper attribution is wrong.

On flickr, under every image you can see what copyright category it has. You "can" dowload, but in most cases, you have to take a little detour, before getting there. The save option on Phere hands you the low resolution image on a silver plate.

Here I disagree. As your own example shows, these restrictions never stop those who want to misuse the pictures but they only inconvenience the honest users. Anywhere where DRMs are involved - music, movies, books etc - they manifestly don't stop or prevent "piracy" but they do cause real problems for legitimate and well-meaning users.

And there are "photographers" who create webpages using stolen images, sometimes selling them, and some even trying to find job with them.

I have no sympathy for such people, either...

Regards

P.S. Have a nice holidays - you are lucky, mine have just finished... :(
Vapymid

Postby sleightman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:17 am

I want to thank Alex for removing my images from the offending photostream.

I have to say that both times I have complained about my images being lifted, the trolls have come out and want to slap everyone around and remind them that all media, once placed on the web, is free and fair game for everyone. And, if you don't like it, too bad, that's just the hard facts of the internet. I sometime wonder if these individuals have ever had their images lifted by someone else. My guess is no. Having put the time, effort, travel and expense into creating an image, if quality content providers want to share their work for FREE, the least people could do is not steal it and claim it as their own. It stings when you open up someone elses photostream and your hard work is staring back at you. When I post on Flickr, I can disable downloads, but I don't. I am uploading lower res images (for a reason) and if people want to put them on their hard drives to enjoy later, knock your self out and have fun, but don't repost my work as your own. IMHO, anyone who has been stolen from has the right to be indignant. I know of no one who is fine with having their property, physical or intellectual, not only stolen, but branded as belonging to and being the work of the thief.

My thanks to everyone else who is selflessly proetcting the work of others and the Phereo team for taking this issue seriously.

Regards,
Sleightman
sleightman

Postby Vapymid » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

@sleightman: you seem to think that anyone whose opinion differs from yours should be called a troll. You must be new here (on teh internets) :lol: ...

Regards
Vapymid

Postby Szoboti » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 am

Sadly, i suspect that the user Den is a lot like Rezan.
http://phereo.com/sekker
Szoboti

Postby Vapymid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:08 pm

There seems to be a mixture of his/her own images and some "borrowed" ones...

Regards
Vapymid

Postby Szoboti » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Just like Rezan...
Szoboti

Postby linuxluver » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:02 am

Most people seem to upload only their own images.

I do see a 'grey' area. I have seen some people upload 3D images derived from photos of 3D content displaying on a TV (not the content itself, but a photo of it).

I, personally, don't have too many problems with someone taking a 3D photo of a 3D movie displaying on a 3D TV as this is an original image captured in a camera. But at the same time, don't upload hundreds of them. It's just boring. I have uploaded a handful of such images from a couple of movies (Avatar is one)...just to see if it could be done, technically, and to share the result. But the work is mine, I feel, as I took the photo, edited it and uploaded it....just as I take / edit all photos I upload. These ones just happen to be of my television and whatever is visible on it. Such occasional photos aren't in any way a replacement for the movie or the story.

I see this as "fair use". Not copying. More like re-creating.
linuxluver

Postby Szoboti » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:03 am

Ok. Uploading a screencap might be fair use in a lot of cases, but Rezan and Den follow a different path. They do use copyrighted material from others and modify them only, to remove copyright information. Tis is not a grey area!

here, he only removed the contact info from the picture:
http://phereo.com/image/4ec6e4763785016c47000022

here he cropped a lot:
http://phereo.com/image/4ec8ecbc378501c01800007b

now we can argue a lot about how cropping is changes a picture. But those changes never effect the copyright state of the image. And btw, how much have the cropping changed the picture? Not much, since even google was able to find the origynal, based on the stolen one!

So, here we are still talking about Rezan, Dan or any other user, who thinks, that they can do what ever they want, and not about ones, who make screencaps, based on fair use. (naming original rights holder, and all that stuff)
Szoboti

Postby Szoboti » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:09 am

And one more thing that bothers me:
A lot of the stolen images end up in Staff Picks and Featured category. Now this is a shame! I whis admins have more time, to look up the gallery of the users in the Featured and Staff categories. Since both Rezan and Den made it there, and both their pages show obvious signs of stolen images. (mixed quality and style, low resolution, different techniques, etc.)
Szoboti

Postby skyemail » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Excellent point.
Hundreds of images captured from animated films were uploaded last week. The images credit the film studio that produced the films, but it still feels like copyright infringement.

Several of those images appear as staff picks which condones and encourages this practice. These images were taken from animated works that were released many months back so they are familiar to the public. Even without reading the credit caption, it is obvious that these are not original work and have been taken from commercial studios. The notion of copyright has little meaning anymore. Even if derived images are not used for commercial purposes, when copies are posted on a public forum, it seems like theft. I would think that Phereo.com would not allow derived works to be marked for public view, if for no other reason than to protect themselves from litigation.
skyemail

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion