reminder for all who post stolen images!

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

Re: reminder for all who post stolen images!

Postby 523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 pm

skyemail wrote:Hundreds of images captured from animated films were uploaded last week. The images credit the film studio that produced the films, but it still feels like copyright infringement.

If you see these trailers on Youtube or on TV or in a movie theater, then there is no copyright infringement? I do not think that if you place screenshots of these trailers on the site, it would be illegal. The more I see in these images there is mention of authorship.

In general, you touch on very sensitive subject. If the author of the video posted it to YouTube and then lets embed it on other websites, will the person who posted this clip on your site, considered a thief?

By your thoughts - yes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003

Postby skyemail » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for reading my post and responding.
I understand your point and I do not claim to have the right answer, just hoping to raise awareness for what may be infringement.
When you see trailers at the theater or on TV, it's because the owners have paid to have the films promoted and advertise their movies. Seeing the trailer on YouTube is different, unless posted by the studio. We see lot's of things being posted on the web that have been taken from other sources. That does not mean the video has not violated the copyright. More likely is that the owner is unaware of the copy being made public or simply chooses not to take any legal action.

Before the internet was around, people did not push the copyright issue as they do today. Over time, people have come to accept music "sharing" and illegal downloads of films or software as the norm. They may not view it as theft, but the creators of these works probably do.
There is much debate about fair use versus infringement so it's not always clear who is right.
My point regarding the Phereo site is just that if people are going to upload derived works, they might want to keep those images from having public access.
skyemail

Postby linuxluver » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Szoboti wrote:Ok. Uploading a screencap might be fair use in a lot of cases, but Rezan and Den follow a different path. They do use copyrighted material from others and modify them only, to remove copyright information. Tis is not a grey area!

here, he only removed the contact info from the picture:
http://phereo.com/image/4ec6e4763785016c47000022

here he cropped a lot:
http://phereo.com/image/4ec8ecbc378501c01800007b

now we can argue a lot about how cropping is changes a picture. But those changes never effect the copyright state of the image. And btw, how much have the cropping changed the picture? Not much, since even google was able to find the origynal, based on the stolen one!

So, here we are still talking about Rezan, Dan or any other user, who thinks, that they can do what ever they want, and not about ones, who make screencaps, based on fair use. (naming original rights holder, and all that stuff)

I agree. Large scale representation of these works with copyright information removed cannot easily be defended as "fair use". Fair use would normally require (out of courtesy if nothing else) the source be credited. It's only......fair. :-)
linuxluver

Postby 523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 am

skyemail wrote:Thanks for reading my post and responding.
I understand your point and I do not claim to have the right answer, just hoping to raise awareness for what may be infringement.
When you see trailers at the theater or on TV, it's because the owners have paid to have the films promoted and advertise their movies. Seeing the trailer on YouTube is different, unless posted by the studio. We see lot's of things being posted on the web that have been taken from other sources. That does not mean the video has not violated the copyright. More likely is that the owner is unaware of the copy being made public or simply chooses not to take any legal action.

Thank you for responding too. I think what a public trailers are advertising the product (for example, for a movie), and if people are as much as possible to spread this ad, it's only going to benefit the creator. I also want to note that this PR method is absolutely free for creator, and it does not even have to pay money for something that their trailer or footage (screenshots) placed somewhere else. I think it's a good symbiosis between the creator and the rest of people. And the idea that the trailer must be distributed only by permission of the author - that's not quite right. Full movie - yes, without a doubt.

Once again, summing up the idea: I think that trailers are designed specifically for PR, and that the creator gives granted permission to publicly distribute it without any additional agreements. Otherwise, the creator would not get the desired impact.

And what do you say about the screenshots taken using Print Screen button from the computer games? This is also a theft? But I see hundreds of screenshots on the http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/ site. Does this mean that NVIDIA encourages theft?
Last edited by 523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003

Postby skyemail » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:30 pm

>> "Does this mean that NVIDIA encourages theft? "
No, but they may be considered an involved party to it. Probably not concern unless the the creator has incurred some loss as a result of the copy being distributed.

This thread is more about those who copy others work and present it as their own without crediting the originator. People who do that ought to at least mark those image non-public to cover their tracks.
It also seems odd that Staff Picks would include 3D images taken from commercial films rather than posting only original images from the creator.
Just one opinion...
skyemail

Postby 523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:45 pm

skyemail wrote:It also seems odd that Staff Picks would include 3D images taken from commercial films rather than posting only original images from the creator.

I think the Phereo moderator chooses an images, which will be of interest to users. Maybe that the difference between images from the creator or from movies is not as important for for a lot of people :roll: And even more so I can not imagine a situation where a moderator will look for the original images on other sites to make sure the legitimacy of authorship. It's more like a utopia. But I like that this site has tools for report. This is done everywhere and it is a good practice.

Thank you for taking the time to read my babble :)
523b46d5df7df3bd6d000003

Postby 2old4toys » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:49 am

Fair use covers a critiques / reviews... eg if you write an article and use a movie trailer's screen caps showing how the depth in one 3D movie compares to another adding your own comments and observations. Even then you can still face a challenge from the owner of the material which you can defend legally if you have the time & financial resources.

Face it... people put this site at some RISK by uploading tonnes of screenshots of copyright material that can potentially help attract web traffic that otherwise would not come here. Web traffic equates to advertising revenue... the copyright owner assumes the site is making money out of hosting their material... a site that maybe wants to make money from hosting an extensive collection of 3D movie grabs without paying the owner. At best, the site is ignored... but be prepared for the inconvenience of a takedown notice at least... at worst it would be financial compensation requested for unauthorized use of their material.

When a movie trailer is posted on YouTube by the content owner, they get PAID by Google/YouTube for every view that video gains... Robots roam YouTube to identify copies of that same movie trailers that other people have posted up and notifies the original owner and again allows the original owner the choice to GET PAID by google/youtube for views that unauthorised copy has earned, or to have them takedown the copy so people who want to see the trailer ONLY watch it via the official channels and maximise the focus on the branding page of the owner.

Unless this site is ready for the worst case to compensate the movie content owners... better not endorse this kind of user activity with making such movie screen photos "staff picks"!

Not worth the trouble guys...
2old4toys

Previous

Return to General Discussion