What do you use to see 3D?

Stereo pictures general talk

Moderator: alex

What do you use to see 3D?

Postby Vasily » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi everyone and welcome to Phereo Forum!

Lets start our discussions with one important question: what technologies do you use to browse 3D images? Is it NVIDIA 3D Vision, or anaglyph glasses, or maybe just wiggle mode?

Looking forward to your answers - please don't hesitate! Let's communicate!

Vasily
Phereo Team
Vasily

Re: What do you use to see 3D?

Postby Vapymid » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I normally just watch cross-eyed pairs without any other equipment.

Very rarely I use red-cyan glasses to watch anaglyphs.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby 2eyedFroggy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi all,
Got anaglyph glasses to check and Nuvision to work and nvidia 1 to check how it's like.
Maybe some lenticular thingz, and of course The Lumiere box made of wood with two lenses to watch
stereo pairs from 1900 on glass.
Seems to me the Nvdia stuff is close to what we use to call "page flip on quad buffer" but it launches slower than real OpenGL on a quadro ...

might also have some polarized.
2eyedFroggy

Postby Vasily » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:56 pm

And has anyone got a 3DTV?
Vasily

Postby 2eyedFroggy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am

I donot but got acess to some, like the samshung with active glasses.

Have a nice day.
2eyedFroggy

Postby admin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 am

Vapymid wrote:I normally just watch cross-eyed pairs without any other equipment.

So is it possible to you to watch cross-eyed pairs on Phereo? Images are quite big. How can you do it?
admin
Site Admin

Postby Vapymid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Cross-eyed is not actually difficult for large images. I can even stretch some pictures across 2 monitors, so that each half of the pair is seen on its own screen - just may need to lean back a bit.

The technique is the same - relax focus, cross your eyes until you see 3 images instead of 2 halves of the pair, focus on the middle one.

If you normally wear glasses (for myopia/shortsightedness) they should also be worn for viewing cross-eyed.

It's parallel viewing which is difficult for larger sizes - I cannot view parallel pairs where the image base is wider than the distance between my eyes.

I like viewing stereopairs because it's full-brightness and full-colour but of course it means only half of available display width is used.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby linuxluver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:47 am

Dec 20th, 2012

I now also have two "LG D2542P" 3D PC monitors. They cost NZ$338 (excluding 15% GST) each. This is a 25" 16:9 monitor that supports viewing 3D with "passive" glasses, like those you get at the cinema for free or very cheap (NZ$1 each here).

I have one monitor on my PC and the other is used as a TV with a set-top box (no 3D channels here) and a separate 3D Bluray player. With the Bluray player, it works perfectly as a 3D TV....for a fraction of the price. But at 25", you have to sit between 1 metre and 2 metres away from the screen for best 'effect'. If you are too far away, it is like watching 3D in a box....which tends to detract from the experience. For up to 3 people, this arrangment is very good.

Dec 8th, 2011

I use cross-eyed "free viewing" for quickly looking at stereo pairs.

I also use red/cyan anaglyph glasses for checking alignment of Left/Right pairs. The alignment isn't a big issue for non-anaglyph formats as our eyes make the parallax adjustments. But for anaglyph modes the parallax is embedded in the image and really must be optimised to best present the centre of interest. I also use red/cyan anaglyph for viewing images fullscreen or for watching videos. Cross-eye method is too painful for longer than 60 seconds at a time.

I have an LG Optimus 3D android phone, which has a 4.3" 3D display and doesn't require glasses. The Phereo app presents these images on the phone in 3D and it is very easy to view them. The Optimus 3D also plays YouTube 3D videos perfectly. I love this phone. It's dual-core 1GHz and performs very well.

I also mail ordered a "3D Stereoscopic 8 Inch HD Photo Frame and Video Player (Glasses-Free 3D)" from chinavasion.com for about US$130. It also is glasses-free and supports most 3D image and video formats. This device is a good compromise as the 8" screen is big and clear and presents colours well and the 3D is well presented.

I will buy a 3D TV soon. LG, in particular, has some 3D-capable TVs available now that are very reasonably priced. Glasses are required.

Lastly...I have a cheap 3D webcam. It works with most things and can record still and video in red/cyan anaglyph mode.
Last edited by linuxluver on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
linuxluver

Postby clwydian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am

Hi there, came here after I found the android app. I view pics RL cross eye, colour anaglyph, wiggle viw, and printing LR on 6x4 inch and using viewers of different ages. The latter way is more sociable as its interactive in my view. How old fashioned eh?
My android doesn't do 3d but I have a 3d camera that does mpo format, however a number of 3d camera apps allow you to make two shot stereo pics. Be nice if website would autoconvert micepo jps to a viewing format of choice?

Only thing about wiggle view is that you need a different window setting for wiggle so some LR adjustment is necessary on a pic by pic basis.

Carl
clwydian

Postby Vapymid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:53 pm

clwydian wrote:Be nice if website would autoconvert micepo jps to a viewing format of choice?

The free StereoPhotoMaker here - http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ - will convert your JPS or single JPGs to MPO and back (and will let you do myriad other things as well, such as changing alignment, correcting colour, cropping stereopairs, even making flash stereo slideshows).

Regards
Vapymid

Next

Return to General Discussion